Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gimme a Chance!

Before you start reading...this is a *slight* rant, just be aware :)

In 2004, I graduated college with an Associates Degree in Supply Chain Management, you know....transportation, purchasing, planning, logistics, stuff like that; the kind of degree that *should* be able to get you a job almost anywhere. And I did get one, but it only lasted about a year....you gotta love those companies, that decide they need a new position, create it, hire for it, and then eliminate it....Well, anyways, after that job was done, I started tending bar, part time; which turned into full time. Here I am, 6 years after starting this 'part time, interim job, and I'm still doing it. Now, I don't only tend bar, I've also taken on many other tasks there, such as editing the website, creating marketing materials, planning tournaments and events, data entry, writing the employee handbook, creating a new job application, and other miscellaneous administrative tasks. These all look good on a resume, right? Apparently not good enough. I'm trying, hard, to find a new job, a career, and I apply for at least 2 new jobs a week, I get an interview here and there, but it's always the same thing...."We need someone with more experience" or "We've decided to go with someone who's qualifications more closely fit our needs". WTF? I'm a hard worker. I put myself through college, while raising 4 kids, including newborn twins, and working full time. I graduated with Honors, and my last 2 semesters, I pulled a 4.0 GPA. I'm well rounded, attractive, intelligent, a quick learner, and an all around GOOD person. So, why is it that I can't find a job? A job that allows me to work days, and spend more time with my children, a job that allows growth and challenges me, a job that enables to me to pay off the $17000 in student loans, a career?
When do people, potential employers, start looking past the fact that I'm a bartender?

No comments: